IN ENGLISH – EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND / WORK EXPERIENCE / SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
Prof. Robert Grzeszczak → WORK EXPERIENCE:
2020-2023 – Chairman of the Legal Sciences Committee of the Polish Academy of Sciences http://www.knp.pan.pl/
October 25, 2019 – the Title of Professor of Social Sciences in the field of Legal Sciences
2015-2018 →Member of the Committee of Legal Sciences of the Polish Academy of Sciences
2017 – Member of International Society of Public Law I-CON https://icon-society.org/
2016 →Member of the Programming Board of the Strategic Litigation Program of the Helsinki Foundation for Human Rights
2016 →Member of the Electoral Board of the University of Warsaw
2013 →Professor of Law, University of Warsaw, Department of European Law, Institute of International Law, Faculty of Law and Administration
2012-2013 University of Warsaw, Faculty of Law and Administration, Postdoctoral degree in law (dr habil.)
2002 – 2008 University of Wrocław, Assistant professor of European Law and Public International Law, Chair of Law in the Willy Brandt Centre for German and European Studies
1998-2003 University of Wrocław, PhD Study on Faculty of Law, Administration and Economics (24.11.2003, PhD.in law)
On 1.10.2008, I took up work as associate professor in the Department of European Law in the Institute of International Law of the University of Warsaw. On 21 February 2012, I was awarded post-doctoral degree in law in the Faculty of Law and Administration of the University of Warsaw on the basis of scientific achievements and post-doctoral dissertation: Executive power in the European Union system (Władza wykonawcza w systemie Unii Europejskiej), published in 2011 by the Publishing House of the University of Warsaw.
Following completion of doctoral studies in 2002, I wrote and defended doctoral dissertation entitled National parliaments in the European Union. Legal integration study (Parlamenty narodowe w Unii Europejskiej. Prawnoustrojowe studium integracji). I published the thesis in book form under the same title and received the 2nd prize in a competition organised by the Polish Academy of Science and the Foundation for European Law for the best publication in the area of European law in 2004.
Since that time, I have been teaching European law and public international law at the University of Wrocław, University of Warsaw and – as visiting professor –University of Marburg and University of Potsdam (Germany).
Between 2004 and 2008, I was assistant professor in the Department of Legal Sciences of the Willy Brandt Centre for German and European Studies of the University of Wrocław. It is a research centre where I ran numerous research programmes, also with partners from Germany. Between 2008 and 2013, I was assistant professor in the Department of European Law in the Faculty of Law and Administration at the University of Warsaw. In 2005-2006, I was assistant professor at the University of Social Sciences and Humanities (branch in Wrocław), where I taught constitutional, international and European law. Between 2012 and 2014, I held EU-funded lectures for students of intercultural integration at Collegium Civitas in Warsaw.
Since 2013, I have been professor in the Department of European Law at the University of Warsaw, which is my only workplace. Since that time, I have managed to put together a young research team, i.e. a group of Ph.D. students and graduates. Together, we have planned and developed various initiatives and research projects under my supervision and scientific guidance. Thanks to group and individual grants that we obtained we have built cooperation with different research centres in Poland and abroad and written books published by NOMOS under my editorship.
I specialise in institutional and material European law as well as constitutional law, with particular focus on the constitutional law of the German Federation, which results from the fact that I were on numerous scholarships in Germany and have a very good command of the German language. Since I was awarded doctoral degree in law, I have been granted may scholarships and taken part in numerous seminars and conferences (in Poland and abroad), at universities and third-level educational institutions in Poland, Austria, Germany, Lithuania, Belgium, Hungary, United Kingdom, Spain, Brazil, Italy, Japan, Singapore, and the USA. During that time, I wrote over 150 scientific articles, a number of monographs as well as over ten academic handbooks (editorship or co-authorship) and commentaries regarding European law. Furthermore, I edited a number of books on European and German topics. My publications are in Polish, German, Spanish and English.
Over the course of my professional work, I was awarded a number distinctions and scientific prizes. In 2001, I obtained my first research grant from the University of Wrocław in the 7th internal competition for the best research projects. In 2002, I obtained a grant from the then State Committee for Scientific Research for a research project The Role of national parliaments in the integration processes of the European Union. In 2004/2006/2007/2009, I was recognised by the Rector of the University of Warsaw and the Dean of the Faculty of Law and Administration of the University of Warsaw, and in 2012 and 2015 – by the Rector of the University of Warsaw – for scientific and educational achievements. Between 2006 and 2008, I was the head of the Socrates programme at the Willy Brandt Centre.
I carried out a number of large research projects at the University of Wrocław and the University of Warsaw, also in cooperation with external (Polish and foreign) centres (which I will describe in more detail below).
I belong to several scientific organizations and associations, these are: I-CON – Public Law Association; ILA (International Law Association), the Polish Group; YPIN (Young Polish International Network); Polish-German Parliamentary Society; Polish Association of European Law (PSPE); European Alumni Young Leaders, I am a member of the German-Polish Christian Democratic Quiritenkreis Association. In 2015, I joined the Legal Sciences Committee of the Polish Academy of Sciences, and also (2016) to the Program Council for the Precedential Affairs of the Helsinki Foundation for Human Rights and (2017) the Council of the Osiatyński Archive.
I know 3 foreign languages very well, ie: German, English and Italian.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS of prof. Grzeszczak – in Polish, English, German, French and Spanish.
- Grzeszczak, S. Terrett, The EU’s role in policing the rule of law: reflections on recent Polish experience, w: Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly 69(3) 2018, pp. 347 – 366
- Grzeszczak, M. Muchel, Provisional measures against EU Member States – an example of the Białowieża Forest w: Eastern European Journals of Transnational Relations 2018 Vol. 2 No. 2, ss. 21-35 : http://hdl.handle.net/11320/6819
- Grzeszczak, I.P Karolewski, The Rule of Law Crisis in Poland: A New Chapter, VerfBlog, 2018/8/08, https://verfassungsblog.de/the-rule-of-law-crisis-in-poland-a-new-chapter/, DOI: https://doi.org/10.17176/20180809-090230-0
- Grzeszczak, I.P Karolewski, Justizreform. Die polnische Krise, Anspruch Magazin – FAZ 8.08.2018 , http://einspruch.faz.net/einspruch-magazin/2018-08-08/4051d14a2597610af1ef063559b4282f/?GEPC=s5
- Grzeszczak, Europeanistaion of Polish Law Following Poland’s Accession to the European Union [w:] Studia Iuridica, vol. 71/ 2017, pp. 61 – 72
- Grzeszczak, The Citizenship of European Union and tge free Movment of Workers or There and Back Again (w:) E. Krzysztofik (Ed) Personal Freedoms of the Internal Market of the European Union in the Light of the Changing Political and Economic Situation in Europe, Berlin 2018, ISBN 978-3-47170-074, pp. 13 – 31
- Grzeszczak (Ed.), Renationalisation of the Integration Process in the Internal Market of the European Union, Nomos Verlag, Baden-Baden 2018, pp. 221.
- Grzeszczak, T. Klemt, M. Szpyrka, Regulatory activity of the European Union and the principle of economic freedom, Kotsytsky (red.), Cоціологія права (Socjologia prawa) – № 1-2 (20-21) – 2017, pp. 17-24.
- Grzeszczak, I.P. Karolewski, Bialowieza Forest, the Spruce Bark Beetle and the EU Law Controversy in Poland, VerfBlog, 2017/11/27 http://verfassungsblog.de/bialowieza-forest-the-spruce-bark-beetle-and-the-eu-law-controversy-in-poland/ , DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.17176/20171127-182151
- Grzeszczak, Europeanisation of Polish Law Following Poland’s Accession to the European Union in: Studia Iuridica nr 71/2017, s. 61 – 73 : http://www.wuw.pl/product-pol-6948-Studia-Iuridica-nr-71-The-Impact-of-European-Law-on-Polish-and-Ukrainian-Legal-Systems-PDF.html
- Grzeszczak, I.P. Karolewski, Mind the Gap! Schwierigkeiten der Rechtsstaatlichkeit in der EU, VerfassungsBlog, 2017/9/26, http://verfassungsblog.de/mind-the-gap-schwierigkeiten-der-rechtsstaatlichkeit-in-der-eu/ DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.17176/20170926-212538
- Grzeszczak, The concept of social citizenship of the European Union in the light of the phenomenon of social tourism (w:) Studia Iuridica nr 68/2016, pp. 87-104
- Grzeszczak, Komentarz do art. 1 i art. 422 i 423 Ustawy o działalności ubezpieczeniowej i reasekuracyjnej (red.) P. Wajda, M. Szczepańska (red. nauk.) Ustawa o działalności ubezpieczeniowej i reasekuracyjnej. Komentarz, Wydawnictwo CH Beck, Warszawa 2017
- Grzeszczak, (ed.), Challenges of good governance in the European Union, Baden-Baden, Nomos 2016
- Grzeszczak, M. Gniadzik, Right of Union citizens and their family members to move freely within the territory of the Member States in the Light of the Judgment of the European Court of Human Rights in case of Oliari against Italy (w:) The Polish Review of International and European Law, Warsaw no 1-2/2015
- Grzeszczak, From government to governance: the challenge of good governance in the European Union of crisis time w: The Global Science and Technology Forum, Journal of Law and Social Sciences, Vol.5 No.1 (Print ISSN: 2251-2853, E-periodical: 2251-2861) http://law-conference.org/index.html#sthash.bnbwy0LN.dpuf
Published in 2012 – 2015:
- Transfer der deutschen des juristischen Denkens(in:) J. Kalicińska, I. Surynt (Hrgs.) Lexikon deutsch-polnischen Beziehungen, Berlin-Bielefeld 2015| Article in German
- The concept and practice of good governance in the European Union, publication in WASET (University of Chicago U.S.A.), ICGLC 2015 : XIII International Conference on Government, Law and Culture Robert Grzeszczak | Article in Englis
- Grzeszczak, B. Jędrzejczak, Die Selbstgefährdung: Gesundheitsgefährdendes Verhalten als Legitimation für Schlechterstellungen (in:) C.D. Classen (Hr.) Diskriminierung aufgrund der Gesundheit in alternden Gesellschaften – Deutschland und Polen vor neuen Herausforderungen, Berliner Wissenschaftsverlag 2015, s. 183-207| Article in German
- The European transformation of the legislative, executive and judicial power in Poland (in:) I.P. Karolewski, M. Sus (eds.) Transformative power of the European Union: The Case of Poland, Nomos Press, 2015 Robert Grzeszczak | Article in English
- Global Role of Europe and Common Foreign and Security Policy – from words to reality, the Natolin European Centre, pp. 173 (http://www.natolin.edu.pl/pdf/zeszyty/Natolin_Zeszty_54.pdf ) Robert Grzeszczak | Article in Englis
- What does the euro crisis teach us about the European Union? Yearbook of European Centre of University of Warsaw, Warsaw No 16/2013, pp. 41-57 Robert Grzeszczak | Article in English
- Regulating gender quotas on corporate boards and the principle of subsidiarity of the European Union (in:) L. Bosek, B. Makowicz i M. Romanowski (Eds.), Parytety płci w spółkach prawa handlowego, Wydawnictwo Sejmowe, Warszawa 2014, pp. 405-416 Robert Grzeszczak | Article in English
- Towards a European Administrative Space (in:) University of Warsaw Journal of Comparative Law, Issue 1, Volume 1, January 2014, pp. 8-24 Robert Grzeszczak | Article in English
- The EU’s position as a global foreign policy player, Natolin European Centre 2013, pp. 78 Robert Grzeszczak | Book in English
- Transfer der deutschen des juristischen Denkens (in:) Lexikon deutsch-polnischen Beziehungen, I. Surynt (re.), Berlin-Bielefeld 2014 Robert Grzeszczak | Article in German
- Towards a European Administrative Space (in:) University of Warsaw Journal of Comparative Law, Issue 1, Volume 1, January 2014, s. 8-24 Robert Grzeszczak | Article in English, see: http://www.uwjcl.wpia.uw.edu.pl/
- Ułatwienia swobody przepływu orzeczeń – czy mamy już jedną przestrzeń sądową UE? // Title of Article in translation: Facilitate the free movement of judgments – towards the EU judicial area (in:) Prawo Europejskie w Praktyce, nr 2 (116) 2014, Robert Grzeszczak | Article in English
- What does the euro crisis teach us about the European Union? Yearbook of European Centre of University of Warsaw, Warsaw No 16/2013 Robert Grzeszczak | Article in English
- 2012, The Treaty of Lisbon – selected issues | Robert Grzeszczak and Maria Kenig-Witkowska (eds.), Book in Polish and in English – Waraw 2012, pp. 285
- 2012, Ochrona jednostki w Unii Europejskiej przez zasadę dobrej administracji // Title of Article in translation: Protection individuals in European Union by the principle of good administration (in:) J. Jaskiernia (ed.) Efektywność europejskiego systemu ochrony praw człowieka, Toruń, pp. 392 – 409, Robert Grzeszczak | Article in English
- 2012, Locus władzy wykonawczej w systemie Unii Europejskiej // Title of Article in translation: The Locus of Executive Power in the European Union (in:) R. M. Czarny, K. Spryszak (eds.) Państwo i prawo wobec współczesnych wyzwań. Integracja europejska i stosunki międzynarodowe, Toruń, pp. 150-168 Robert Grzeszczak | Article in English
- 2012, Executive Power in the Complex European Union System (in:) R. Grzeszczak, I. P. Karolewski (eds.) The Multi-level and Polycentric European Union, Robert Grzeszczak | Book in English
- 2012, Accountability and Legitimacy of Executive Power in the European Union, Studia Iuridica, nr t. 54/2012,, pp. 45-59., Robert Grzeszczak | Article in English
- 2012, Proteccion Multicentrica de los Derechos Fundamentales en Europa, El Reporte Judicial, vol. 26, nr April 2012, pp. 3-18. Robert Grzeszczak | Article in Spanish
- 2012, Unia Europejska jako wielopoziomowy systemu ochrony praw człowieka (Proces przystąpienia Unii Europejskiej do Konwencji o ochronie praw człowieka i podstawowych wolności) The European Union as a Multilevel System of Protection of Human Rights (The Process of Accession of the European Union to the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms (w:) Traktat z Lizbony – wybrane zagadnienia / The Treaty of Lisbon – selected issues (red. nauk.) MM Kenig-Witkowska, R. Grzeszczak, Warszawa 2012, pp. 75 – 91 Robert Grzeszczak | Article in English and in Polish
- 2011, Executive Power in the Complex European Union System in: R. Grzeszczak. I.P. Karolewski (eds), “The European Union as a mulilevel and polycentral legal and political, Robert Grzeszczak | Book ang the article in English // the book on line see: http://books.google.be/books?id=1pRQDL_qBGUC&pg=PA5&dq=robert+grzeszczak&hl=pl&sa=X&ei=ke5UVOm-qGP7AaBkIF4&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=robert%20grzeszczak&f=false
- 2011, A European Federation – forseeing the unforeseeable (w:) D. Kornobis-Romanowska; M. Jabłoński (eds.), Robert Grzeszczak | Article in English
- 2010, A. Frąckowaik – Admska, R. Grzeszczak, L’espace judiciaire européen, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Wrocławskiego, 2010, Book in French
- 2010, La Charte des droits fondamentaux dans l’espace judiciaire européen – questions institutionnelles et juridiques choisies in : A. Frąckowiak – Adamska, R. Grzeszczak, L’Espace judiciaire européen, Wrocław 2010, pp. 183 – 199 // 377 – 396, Robert Grzeszczak | Article in Polish and in French
- 2009, Subsydiarna demokracja : rola parlamentów narodowych w Unii Europejskiej w Traktacie z Lizbony// Subsidiary democracy: the role of national parliaments in the European Union by the Treaty of Lisbon, Robert Grzeszczak | Artykuł in Polish and in German
- 2009, Prezydencja Niemiec a reforma ustrojowa Unii Europejskiej // Die deutsche Ratspäsidentschaft und die gesellschaftliche Reform der Europäischen Union, in: Die Reformprozesse in Deutschland und der Europäischen Union, Robert Grzeszczak | Article in Polish and in German
- 2009, Federalisation of the European Union [w:] E. Piontek, K. Karasiewicz (red.) Quo vadis Europo III, Robert Grzeszczak | Article in English
- 2009, Umsiedlungen und Entschädigungsforderungen polnischer Bürger aus den Gebieten der ehemaligen Sowjetunion (Litauen, Weissrussland und Ukraine) in: Eigentumsrecht und Enteignungsunrecht : Analysen und Beiträge zur Vergangenheitsbewältigung. Teil 2 / hrsg. von Gilbert H. Gornig, Hans-Detlef Horn, Dietrich Murswiek. – Berlin : Duncker und Humblot, Robert Grzeszczak | Article in German
- 2007, Nation and Nationalism: Controversies in the contemporary research, Introduction. w: A. M. Suszycki, I. P. Karolewski (ed.), Nation and Nationalism. Historical and Political Studies, ATUT, Book in English
- 2006, A Democratic Union: Constitutional Principle or Prosaic Declaration of Intent? 6. German Law Journal No 11, Heidelberg Robert Grzeszczak | Article in German
|EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND//Research Achievements (2003-2013):